Rules related to Noun
Ø In English language There are some nouns which ends in( –s) and the same form can function as a singular and a plural noun as well.Some of these words are Alms , Species , Means , Series etc.
· The Airplanes are the fastest means of transport.
· Which are your favorite TV- series?
Ø Nouns with a singular form but have a plural meaning. These are Government, Audience, Team, Crowd, Family, Group etc.
· Budha’s family was against with their views.
· Government made rules for women security.
Ø Some Nouns in English seem to have a plural form but infact they have a singular meaning .Some of these words are News , Riches , Mums , Scissors Spectacles etc.
· Riches have wings.
· Billiards is very famous game.
Ø There are also some nouns which only have plural form and , consequently are followed by a plural verb. Many of these are used with the phrase a pair of as they refer to something made up of two parts.
· These are scissors are for cutting papers.
· She badly needed clothes , so I gave a suit to her.
Ø Some nouns which ends in (-ics) can take both a singular(if they are considered as the name of the Science) or a plural verb(if they express a specific application of Science) Some of these words are Mathematics , Economics , Politics , Acoustics , Rhetorics , Gymnastics.
· Economics teacher was very strict.
· Acoustics is the study of sounds.
Exercise related to Noun
Correct the following Sentences--
· All the players were in high spirit.
Correct- All the players were in high spirits.
· Our surrounding is awful.
Correct- Our surroundings are awful.
· The clock has struck three hours.
Correct-The clock has struck three.
· He took his clothings and left the place without informing us.
Correct- He took his clothing and left the place without informing us.
· Sohan left the place with his belonging goods.
Correct-Sohan left the place with his goods.
· Can we rely on these informations.
Correct- Can we rely on pieces of information?
· Little things has been done.
Correct- Little has been done.
· There was lot of mistakes in your exercise?
Correct- There were a lot of mistakes in your exercise.
· We have an urgent business.
Correct- We have an urgent piece of business.
· I could not get good mark in English.
Correct- I could not get good marks in English.